If you want to capture the attention of your clients while branding yourself as a technological innovator among your competitors, augmented reality is a tool that you should consider adding to your marketing arsenal. Last week, we defined augmented reality and explained how exactly it works to bring static images to life. Now, we will consider the practical applications of augmented reality technology—specifically, how you can use augmented reality for your business.
The exciting thing about augmented reality is its versatility. Practically any two-dimensional image—and some three-dimensional physical objects—can be used to trigger an artificial form of media that overlaps and interacts with a real-world environment. Here are a few ways that we have watched augmented reality work successfully, and that could be a means for you to implement augmented reality into your business’ marketing strategy.
- Packaging. The potential for augmented reality on product packaging is huge. Imagine being able to go into a grocery store, hold your smart phone up to a static image on a food product package and have it launch into a video explaining how you can use that product in a recipe. Imagine purchasing a piece of furniture, and instead of having to read the lengthy and tedious instruction manual as to how to put it together, you can scan an image on the outside of a box and watch a video illustrating its assembly. The augmented reality-driven media you reveal to your audience on your packaging can not only be informative, but it could entice customers by offering a coupon code or other special deal to those who access it.
- Mailed materials. Mailed advertisements can sometimes fall flat, but augmented reality can add an entirely new dimension to what can be an effective form of marketing media by bringing the images on your direct mail pieces to life. We’ve even helped a client use augmented reality to launch Christmas card images into a photo slideshow, so that recipients were able to enjoy more than just the one image.
- Training. Liven up the old employee training manual by allowing your trainees to learn via augmented reality. Rather than read about how to perform a task, employees can watch a video of the task being performed at the physical location where he or she will be performing it. This can not only make common tasks more exciting for employees, but it can be an efficient teaching tool if employees can learn and revisit a task in real time.
- Political campaigns. With augmented reality, candidates can talk to potential constituents with the constituent’s simple scan of a campaign poster or yard sign. For example, a photo of a candidate on any print material could launch into a video of the candidate introducing him or herself or speaking about his or her platform. This is a way for candidates to communicate their messages to a wider audience and be able to reach them on a more personal level.
- Educational tools. Augmented reality within the realm of education is seemingly limitless. Not only can augmented reality engage students in the traditional classroom—with textbooks, posters and more existing to launch static images into expanded learning materials—but it can also be effective in other types of educational scenarios including museums, art installations, historical markers and more.
- Entertainment. The media you present to your audience via augmented reality does not necessarily have to be informative—it can also be fun. Pull out your event ticket, and watch the image of the athlete or musician printed on the ticket launch into a video of that play in the game or that part of the song. From programs to drink cups, almost anything within an entertainment venue can be keyed to let augmented reality work its magic.
The range of possibilities of how you can use augmented reality for your business opens doors for a variety of business types, sizes and budgets to be able to utilize this type of technology. While augmented reality is not new, its mainstream use as a marketing tool has yet to be fully realized. If you want to get in on the forefront of this technology and add an edge to your marketing campaign using augmented reality, contact McNutt & Partners today to discuss what we can do for you!